Latheronwheel is a small planned coastal village begun in 1835 with the building of a hotel. The harbour was constructed around 1840 and a small lighthouse built on the headland. Each tenant of the settlement was allocated 2 acres and the right to fish from the harbour. At one time 50 boats operated from the harbour but few remain today. Initially salmon was caught but this gave way to herring during the boom years.
Area: Wick & East
OS Grid Reference: ND 1910 3210