Ceannabeinne township was once a thriving township on the Rispond Estate. Today it consists of several ruined structures situated by the side of the A838 Durness to Tongue road.
In many cases only the lowest courses of the foundation survive, as the substantial stone enclosure dykes built after the clearance of the settlement in 1842 have re-used much of the stone from the buildings. The township is now undistinguished and forms part of the Durness common grazing.
A single enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet vi). What may be a wall of the enclosure is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1961). Information from RCAHMS, 14th August 1995.
Note: a walk-over survey of this site which provides much more detailed information on its archaeological features was undertaken by Rowan Tree Consulting for the Durness Development Group
Area: Bettyhill & North Coast
OS Grid Reference: NC43976570
This trail is approximately 1 mile over rough ground. The route is way marked with information signs and directiional posts.